Thursday 10 March 2016

I am a couch musician, occasionally playing for friends.  My favourite style is lead guitar. I have 3 guitars, but my favourite is an Ibanez EX series, with Seymour Duncan custom pick-ups and Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42 strings. The guitar has a pleasant history: I purchased it about 15 years ago at a second hand shop and even got a generous discount.
 I purchased the Boss eBand JS-8 a few years ago, and I must say, it has revolutionised my guitar playing dramatically.  I have not had the opportunity to try out the JS-10, but I am sure that it is also a fantastic piece of equipment.  I believe that every guitar player should have one.  I cannot imagine how I got by without a Boss e-Band.

The reason for this blog is very simple; I have been battling to edit the sounds on my JS-8.  I tried to contact Boss on a few occasions and joined a guitar forum, all just to have other musicians share their edits.  My efforts had NO success.  I created this forum to invite those who have used and mastered their eBands to share your edits.  Besides edits, any tips regarding the use of the eBand are welcome.

Please, no foul language!

I will start off with sharing 1 of my edits, a lead sound (one of two I am reasonably happy with):












I have not edited any of the lo/hi/level sections.





5 comments:

  1. Does anyone have any info on what the built-in presets are meant to be. For example I have the JS10 and there's a effects patch called MetalCat. Is this meant to be Metallica?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only noticed your comment now, 2 years later:-( This wonderful tool has beer rolled out without some suggestions of edits. What a pity.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I also have the js8 and can’t understand why everyone else hasn’t. It is just superior to the Yamaha thr and all practice amps. I think many of the patches are not subtle enough and keep meaning to tone some down but limited with time. I like the ability to play over the top of your own creations and record them like a looper. Seems to be very little info out there on the amazing piece of kit. Les

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Imawd, thank you for the comment. Indeed, it is a nifty, useful tool, but very difficult to create a good sound without some guidance. After a number of years of regular use, I have only managed to build about 4 satisfactory sounds. I wish one of the builders of this magnificent tool would publish a few final edits which users could finetune to suite their own guitars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pierre
    Thanks for the reply.
    Only last week I put some overdrive pedals in front of the js8 and set it on clean reverb.
    This works really well and better than I expected.

    I am also recording guitar tutorials to it from YouTube and slowing them down to learn lead guitar parts. Have you tried it through a hi fi system? Sounds good.
    I had monitors for it at one time but didn’t like the sound. I hope to have a go at editing some presets. I also have a br80 but don’t seem to use much.

    Thanks Les

    ReplyDelete